We need people in the community beating the drum and making noise about kidney disease and the importance of research.
‘Ambition. Bravery. Passion. Urgency:’ these are our charity values that drive our work, and we need people who are ambitious, brave and passionate about our cause.
We want you to make the most of your local opportunities and be the face of Kidney Research UK in your community. We want you to encourage others to support us with their time, voice, and money. The role is not limited to this role description, we want you to be inspired and creative and find your own opportunities that we can support you to achieve. Alternatively follow our steps to success!
In this role you could be...
Seeking out local opportunities in your area
What is happening near you? Where can you raise awareness of kidney disease Raise awareness of the groundbreaking research we are spear heading.
Using your story to raise awareness and inspire others
Attend events or meetings (virtual and face to face where appropriate) to talk about your experience of kidney disease and/or kidney health/the work of the charity. It might include events such as community groups/funding meetings/corporate events and may be ones we have organised or ones you have identified yourself.
Attending cheque presentations on behalf of Kidney Research UK
Meet with our fundraisers to hear their stories, thank them in person and collect cheques. This may include visiting our charity of the year partners.
Spreading the word about ways to get involved
Promote our events in your local community. This may include placing leaflets, finding opportunities in local press, or speaking to local businesses about putting in teams for or attending our events.
Connecting with your local renal unit
Be the connection between Kidney Research UK and your local renal unit helping to ensure that renal unit staff and patients are up to date with news and research opportunities. This might include delivering their quota of our newsletter magazine, updating noticeboards, or chatting with the renal team.
Sharing your story in local media
We will provide press templates and key information to help you find local press opportunities in your area to share your story around key events such as World Kidney Day. This may include local radio interview, local news channels, local magazines, and newspapers, whatever you are comfortable with.
Representing Kidney Research UK at patient information days
Attend information days facilitated by patient organisations or patients to man an information stand and represent Kidney Research UK, using your personal experience to raise awareness of our work and the effects of kidney disease.
Your skills and experiences
We are looking for an individual who:
- Has experience of kidney disease (either personally or a friend or family member has been affected)
- Has a keen interest in our work
- Good communication skills
- Has good self-motivation and confidence
- Has commitment to our charity values
- Is reliable to accept opportunities when they arise
How will you benefit from the role?
- Develop your communication and leadership skills
- Develop team building and time management skills
- Gain insight in to how a charity runs
- Satisfaction in making a difference and raising awareness of kidney disease.
- Volunteer experience to put on your CV
- Learn about current research
- Receive a Kidney Research UK t-shirt and pin badge
We will support you by
- Providing an induction to the charity, its aims, and the role of ambassadors
- Ongoing support from your key contact at the charity
- Adhoc training to support you in your role
- Agreed out of pocket expenses such as travel will be reimbursed but we ask you to let us know before you attend an event if you think there will be expenses, to see if we can suggest an alternative
How to apply
If you are interested in the role email our volunteer programme manager. we will ring you for an informal chat to discuss your experience and which parts of the role you are interested in, so that we are able to tailor the opportunities we send you. You will then be asked to provide one reference. We cannot wait to chat to you!