Chronic Kidney Disease Mineral Bone
Disorder Clinical Study Group
Chronic kidney disease mineral bone disorder (CKD-MBD) is the name used to describe the biochemical, skeletal and blood vessel abnormalities that occur in advanced CKD and dialysis patients. How these abnormalities occur, is poorly understood, but they may play a significant role in reducing both the quality and quantity of life for many people.
Much of the current research is primarily focused on understanding how CKD-MBD influences stiffening and calcification in blood vessels and heart valves which is believed to be linked to accelerated heart disease and strokes, and the role played by serum phosphate levels.
Who we are
We are a group of renal physicians interested in CKD-MBD and in national and international collaboration around clinical trials.
Our group is chaired by Professor Alastair Hutchison, who is Executive Medical Director and Consultant Nephrologist at Dorset County Hospital.
His deputy is Dr Indranil (Indy) Dasgupta, Consultant Physician and Nephrologist at Birmingham Heartlands Hospital and Honorary Reader at Birmingham University.
- Provide a discussion forum for researchers investigating any aspect of CKD Mineral Bone Disorder (CKD-MBD).
- Encourage and facilitate the development of protocols for studies in people with CKD-MBD.
- Promote collaborative working between renal units to deliver studies on CKD-MBD.
- Advocate for funding of studies in CKD-MBD via NIHR.
- Facilitate discussion with industry partners to develop and deliver cost-effective studies of interventions to improve outcomes in CKD-MBD.
Our current studies:
- The UK Calciphylaxis study - led by Smeeta Sinha, Salford. Funded by CLRN Portfolio.
- SPIRiT study - serum phosphate intervention in renal replacement therapy. Led by Alastair Hutchison, Dorset. Funded by NIHR (Research for Patient Benefit). Follow-up now complete and manuscript submitted for publication.
- SIMPLIFIED trial - survival improvement with cholecalciferol in patients on dialysis. Led by Thomas Hiemstra, Cambridge. Funded by NIHR/HTA.
- PHOSPHATE trial - part of an international collaboration to examine the role of serum phosphate levels in CKD-MBD.
For more information and to find out about getting involved as a patient or researcher, contact: