Research project and start-up grants
We are the largest kidney research charity dedicated to kidney research in the UK. Our Research Strategy to 2030 outlines our three strategic priorities and what we want to achieve through research in the next ten years or sooner.
Our 2023 hybrid grants programme is now open. This is one of the many ways we fund and facilitate high quality research.
Does your proposal align to our research priorities?
In your application, we will ask how your proposal aligns with our immediate research priority areas.
We intend to make at least one award in each of these three priorities areas.
Types of grants available
We are open for all grant types, career development and research project and start-up submissions in this first round.
Research project grants
For innovative standalone research projects that will advance our knowledge of kidney disease and refine current treatments or lead to new ones.
- Funding available: up to £250k
- Funding period: three years maximum
For investigating new hypotheses around the kidney that lack any significant existing research prior to a full research project.
- Funding available: up to £40k
- Funding period: over two years maximum
Expression of interest information
We are pleased to invite expressions of interest from teams or individuals whose proposals directly address our immediate research priorities, and who seek initial or further support to establish their research career.
We are keen to encourage applications from new investigators who have not previously held competitively awarded project or start-up funding as a principal investigator.
Expression of interest applications will not be eligible for submission where;
- the lead applicant already holds three or more concurrent active Kidney Research UK awards, excluding PhD Studentships and Start-up awards.
- the application from the lead applicant would be within twelve months following the submission date of a previous Expression of Interest for that grant type.
- The lead applicant has already made a submission of that grant type Expression of Interest application in any twelve-month period.
Applying and submitting your application
What difference can funding make to you?
"Funding has enabled me to set up preliminary data to apply for intermediate fellowship applications and enabled me to be more competitive in these applications."
Dr Soma Meran, Innovation grant recipient
Get our Research Roundup email
Stay up to date with our kidney research news.