Our research grants
We will have two hybrid research grant rounds for 2023/24.
- Grant round 1: Closed for expressions of interest applications
- Grant round 2: Closed for expressions of interest applications
- Additional call: Health inequalities: disparities in SGLT-2 inhibitor prescribing open for submissions
Changes we made last year are continuing this year:
- The first phase will be a shorter expression of interest. Those shortlisted will be invited to complete a more detailed full application. Both phases will use our online system for applying.
- Patients are more involved in our grants review process than ever before – they now do a more comprehensive review from a patient perspective.
- We have re-named our innovation awards as start-up awards.
Types of research grants
Find out about the different research grants we have available.
Dates may be subject to slight change up to the actual round opening. If you have any questions please get in touch before you apply so we can provide advice that may be helpful.
How our funding helps
"My kidney Research UK fellowship is a fundamental step change in my career.
It has allowed me to join the thriving Centre for Cardiovascular Science in Edinburgh where I benefit from the crossover between clinical and basic science renal research.
The funding has allowed me to become involved in cutting edge renal research within the UK."
Dr Morag Mansley, post-doctoral fellowship
Tell us your ideas through our open door
We want to hear about new ideas that could make a difference to people affected by kidney disease. Anyone can share their ideas with us at any time.
Opportunities to accelerate research and innovation in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of kidney disease through a range of alternative funding.
For more information or if you have any questions about applying for a research grant, get in touch with our Research Grants Team: