How did we do in 2021/22?
Our performance against the year’s objectives
During a tough year dominated once again by the Covid-19 pandemic, we have worked hard to push forward in every area of our strategy, but we know there is still more to do.
- Restarted our research programme and secured significant investment through The Stoneygate Trust and some new
- Invested £7.4 million in research, awareness and education.
- Launched our updated Research Strategy October 2021
- Supported innovation e.g. our Kidney MedTech Competition, Alport Research Hub and Salford peer educator project.
- Continued to support existing networks, established the UK Renal Health Data Research Network and by year end preparing to launch the UK Dialysis Research and Innovation Network.
- Supported ongoing studies, co-funded the MELODY trial, continued co-funding the PROTECT-V trial and joined the Safe
- At Work coalition.
Make it count
- NICE guidelines changed following findings from a study we co-funded.
- Supported researchers with commercialisation through [email protected] and our MedTech Competition.
- Continuing to improve organisational knowledge.
- Established a policy unit.
- Lobbied to address the mental and emotional toll of kidney disease.
Rally together for change
- Generated £12.8 million and made a start on our income generation strategy for the future. We also introduced some
new approaches to fundraising.
- Patients have reviewed grant applications, campaigned and educated, including on World Kidney Day.
- Membership of Kidney Voices has more than doubled to almost 1,000.
- Achieved a significant uplift in patient involvement.
- Reached a wider audience base including through direct political engagement, growing the community ambassador programme, launching on TikTok and testing targeted TV advertising.
- Our Transforming Treatments campaign features hard-hitting messages about the realities of living with kidney disease.
Strive for excellence
- Widened our reach by embracing online events such as Driving Discoveries and Kidney Conversations.
- Staff working practices are now more flexible, with hybrid working encouraged.
- Upgraded our IT systems utilising new cloud technology.
Get our e-newsletter
Stay up to date with our kidney research news, events and ways to get involved.