Dialysis Decision Aid: making the right choices for you
The Dialysis Decision Aid Booklet provides information and support to help you make decisions on what dialysis treatment is best for you. It provides information on what type of treatment will fit best into your life.
About the booklet?
The booklet was developed through a Kidney Research UK supported study by the Yorkshire Dialysis Decision Aid research team (Hilary Bekker, Anna Winterbottom et al).
The study was run in collaboration with:
- Baxter Healthcare Ltd
- The British Renal Society and Renal Association
- Decision scientists, nurses, doctors, patients, carers and healthcare professionals from NHS Hospital Trusts at Leeds, Sheffield, Doncaster, Bradford, York, Hull and North Staffordshire
What is included in the booklet?
Decision maps: to help you link information with decisions you are making
Tables: to help compare the dialysis options and what would fit into your own life
Glossary: to describe the meaning of kidney disease terms and treatments
How to get your copy
Download in full colour or download a printer-friendly version (revised and updated July 2015).
Sample copies of the booklet are available throughout renal units and pre-dialysis education services.
Fill in the form below to order a free copy of the booklet (UK residents only)
Are you a healthcare professional?
If you are a health professional you can order your free Dialysis Decision Aid here.
How to order bulk copies
Bulk ordering is available. Order multiple copies.
What success has the booklet had?
Since its launch in November 2014, the Kidney Research UK Dialysis Decision Aid booklet has been well received and much acclaimed by the renal community and patients alike.
- Highly commended at the 2014 BMA Patient Information Awards.
- Endorsed by the European Renal Best Practice advisory committee for the European Renal Association/European Dialysis and Transplantation Association and the International Society for Peritoneal Dialysis.
- Quality tested by the International Decision Aid Library Inventory System.
- Included as an online decision aid onto the patient.co.uk and international Med-Decs websites.
- Translated into Spanish (by the Spanish Society of Nephrology) and Italian (by the Italian Association of Kidney Patients).
In June 2015 the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) approved the updated and revised booklet as part of their ‘endorsed resources’ initiative.
‘The decision aid booklet supports the recommendations on information and education in the NICE guidelines on chronic kidney disease, acute kidney injury and peritoneal dialysis. It also supports the statement about preparing for renal replacement therapy in the NICE quality standard for chronic kidney disease’. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (June 2015)